Mercury is an element that can be harmful to human health and the environmnent if not disposed of properly. Mercury won't harm you or the environment as long as it stays inside the product and is handled properly when you are finished with it. Mercury can be found in a variety of household products like thermometers, thermostats, button-cell batteries and fluorescent lamps.
Please handle products containing mercury very carefully and properly:
1. Never throw glass thermometers, old thermostats, button-cell batteries of fluorescent lamps in the trash. 2. Store mercury-containing products in a safe place, such as an unbreakable plastic container, away from children and pets. 3. Please bring products containing mercury [i.e. thermometers, thermostats, compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL's)], to:
Beverly Health Department 90 Colon Street Beverly, MA 01915
Beverly Engineering Office 191 Cabot Street Beverly, MA 01915
*** Fluorescent lightbulbs (traditional tubes) may be taken to:
Aubuchon Hardware 50 Enon Street Beverly, MA 01915
Beverly Health Department • 90 Colon Street • Beverly, MA 01915 • Phone: (978) 921-8591 • Fax: (978) 922-5695